Pages

Thursday, September 7, 2006

A READER!!

Is it just me, or is teaching a child to read about the coolest thing you can do?

Both Jo and Atticus caught the reading bug early and are well above "grade-level" (the public school gold standard for achievement, right?) when it comes to their reading and comprehension skills. I naturally assumed that I'd have at least one dc who wasn't as eager to pick up a book ... but, no. Logan is just as ambitious when it comes to the written word.

He is now reading simple things like "That rat is mad! Scat, rat! Scat to the mat!" and other insipid phonics-based stuff. And while I thought that somehow my enthusiasm for teaching sounds and sitting through those awful readers would have waned by the third go-round, well--it hasn't. Teaching a child to read is one of the joys of my life. Watching that lightbulb go on, seeing that spark as they swing the door open on a whole new world ...

It's better than chocolate. Better than lots of chocolate. And that's saying a lot.

CONGRATS TO "LOGAN"--AN OFFICIAL READER!!!

No comments: