Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Submission admission

Truth time: I have not submitted any of my writing in two months.

I would love to blame this on the beautiful weather, but the fact is that it was still raining buckets eight weeks ago. No, this has nothing to do with the amount of time we've been spending outside, or how I've been making a more concerted effort to give each child more one-on-one time. Those would be really nice things to be able to say, but they'd also be lies.

The fact is that I am having a hard time figuring out what to write right now. I think it's simply the limbo-like feeling that hangs over my life right now manifesting itself in my creativity. Try as I might, I can't get my head on straight enough to write anything that makes a whole lot of sense.

Usually these dry spells entice me to drag out the forgotten pieces I've shelved. I rework them, add new perspective, tweak and fine tune. Then I send the final product out and wait for the inevitable rejection letters. By the time they start rolling in (email is so helpful in this regard!) I have moved on to a completely new story and feel much better about my talent on the whole.

This time I don't feel the urge to rework. I don't get excited at the thought of editing. And really, this lack of passion has me puzzled.

I guess I'll just wait and see what comes of it. Maybe there's a great story bubbling under the surface here. Or maybe it's my time in the desert. Who knows?

No comments: