Pages

Tuesday, January 2, 2007

At what point do you say it's an issue?

Three different children, three different learning styles. Three differing sets of interests.

Why, oh why, can't they all follow the same path?

Of course, I'm joking. I wouldn't want to live in a cookie-cutter world any more than I'd want my own children to be carbon copies of one another. Or, heaven forbid, carbon copies of me.

But it does keep things interesting, the way they all have their own methods and madness, doesn't it?

Today I am worrying over Logan in particular. He's 4--more than half-way to 5, at this point. Now, please don't take this as a comparison, but he is nothing like my other two children when it comes to learning.

As he is in everything he does, Logan hears his own drummer and marches along oblivious to the cajolings of a certain well-meaning mommy. I don't know why homeschooling would be anything different.

I honestly don't have a problem with that. He is my third (thank you, Lord), not my first, so I am not fretting over the things that drove me insane with Jo. If he wants to sit for two hours and snip the edges off of bird cutouts, so be it. Plenty of time for phonics instruction in his future, KWIM? I suggest things, and if he goes along, great. If he doesn't, that's o.k. too. Sometimes, to show his lack of interest (or just as his interest wanes), he'll start this game that I like to think of as "I'm Not Invested In This, Mom." In other words, he will slowly tune out. As his interest goes, so does his attention. Normal 4 yo stuff.

But this is where it gets a bit more tricky: Logan shows some of the "classic" signs of dyslexia and dysgraphia. There's a family history involved here, too--so my Mommyradar is going bonkers.I've got a boy who constantly writes in mirror-image, who tries to read backwards, who forgets things he learned a week ago ...

Which is not that unusual in a 4 yo, right?

I just don't know. Here it is--I'll be Bad Mommy and say it: Jo and Atticus never did this.

And I admit I am flummoxed. Is it normal stuff, or is it a learning issue? Am I being a nutcase, worrying over a child this young?

I just don't know.

No comments: