Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Just Another 24 Hours in the Homeschooling Life




Do you ever wonder about this thing called homeschooling? It's no static, easily defined state, you know. There are as many variables as there are families engaged in the pursuit, and sometimes--usually right about the time I contemplate what form of insanity I must suffer from to even entertain the notion that I could pull off educating my own kids-- sometimes I want to peek in the windows of the homeschool classrooms across the world and just watch.


Which is why I came up with the idea for Just Another 24 Hours in the Homeschooling Life. (It's all about me, you know.)


Here's the idea. Pick a day over the next two weeks (Nov. 22-Dec. 3).  Any day. It doesn't have to be your best homeschooling day, or your most typical homeschooling day, or even a day when you crack a book. Just pick a day and write about it. That's all.


Record a 24 hour period in your home. Nuts, bolts, warts, sunshine ... I want to see or hear all of it. Be as honest as you can. If you ditched a whole day of pre-planned learning to make leaf rubbings with your children, blog about it. If your five year-old's nonprofit group hosted its annual fundraiser for the homeless, let's hear about it. And if you just managed to get through the day alive ... tell me about that, too.


Pick a day and blog about it. Snag the badge at the top of this post and use it, if you'd like. Then come back here and leave a comment linking to you post. Check back often and see what other people have written.


It could make you feel better about your own homeschool. It could make you cry in frustration. And that's all o.k. Because really, there is no right or wrong way to do this job. There's just the unique way that each family approaches the task. 


So spread the word ... and then share. It's only 24 little hours, after all. :-)

8 comments:

Traci said...

I will attempt this one. But I think I would actually have to school my children for the day :) Single parenting this week is not good for school! Sticking this one in my drafts.

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

What a fun idea! I'd like to try this and will definitely share this on my blog.

Audrey said...

That was fun. I probably need to record the events of my day more often, to hold myself accountable...and to show my husband when he says, "What did you do today??" HA!
http://www.madetoorganize.com/2010/11/just-another-24-hours/

Tiffany said...

What a great idea; can't wait to try it! I'll share it on my blog as well.

Anonymous said...

Tanya at Live the Adventure sent us over - I'll play along next week. :)

Fatcat said...

I did this a little early ... http://homeschoolhome.blogspot.com/2010/11/just-another-24-hours-in-homeschooling.html

Benny said...

OK. I did it. I ended up being more long winded than I meant to be, but I guess that's the norm for me. ;o) Thanks for the idea. It was fun. Can't wait to read others' posts on the 24 hours.

http://thelordsday-psalm118-24.blogspot.com/2010/11/just-another-24-hours.html

Benny

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Mine's up:-).

http://thyhandhathprovided.blogspot.com/2010/12/just-another-24-hours-in-homeschooling.html