I know I'm back, per se, from my new baby honeymoon, when I'm ready to start tinkering in the kitchen again. This recipe was the result of a napping baby, a sunny afternoon of outdoor play for everyone aged 2 and up, and the very last jar of last year's home-canned peaches smiling at me from the pantry shelf. They combine some of my favorite summer flavors in one not-too-heavy-but-still-moist-and-yummy muffin. Atticus wolfed down five at 6:15 this morning, so they must pass muster.
MG's Taste of Summer Muffins
1/2 quart canned peaches, drained & diced
3 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
2 TBS. coconut oil
2 TBS. vegetable oil
1/2 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare muffin cups with spray or paper liners.
2. In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, whole eggs, egg whites, and oils.
4. Stir applesauce mixture into flour mixture, alternating with milk. Mix until moistened, then slowly add diced peaches.
5. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven & cool on wire rack,
Makes 24 muffins.