Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

We WILL finish this Core. Oh, yes ... we will.

We made it to week 31 of Core 4 today, after a bit of blitzing through history. I condensed several days worth of Story of the USA readings into one longer session to accomplish this, but I don't think we missed out on anything, really. Story of the USA isn't my favorite SL resource (I find its pre-packaged workbook format dull and dry--decidedly un-SLy) and I have been known to bypass it altogether when I have better readings on hand. This week, though, the read-and-answer-these-preselected-questions format has been exactly what we needed to fast forward through a bit of history that really hasn't captured the imagination of my children. Part of me feels like I'm shortchanging my kids somehow by not making this period more appealing through the "extras" I usually tuck into our Core: picture books, extra readers, videos, crafts, games, websites, etc. Since Oliver came home, I've been much more slack about culling those resources that have always rounded out our Sonlight experience. Thankfully, no one seems any the worse for the wear. Maybe spring fever has set in early?

5 comments:

Christine said...

This time of the year is hard for us every year. Staying focused falls by the wayside as we start finishing up books and looking towards the next year with excitement. In your case with a new child plus the other that came and went you have plenty of excuses to slacken up a bit. Don't stress about it cause it won't matter in the long run. I agree about that particular SL resource. It hasn't been a fave here either. Oh, and I won't tell you about the Cores we ALMOST finished...

Paula said...

I enjoy the feeling of completing a core too. You're doing great to be finishing week 31 with all you've had going on lately. :0)

Kim & Dave said...

I never get the extras in!

So don't feel too bad.....


Also, it seems my blog is no longer in the list of SL bloggers in the ring.

Could you add me again? Thanks!

KIMBO1, SL Forums

birthblessed said...

I'm impressed you are still doing Story of the U.S.A. We dropped it early on. I still have 2 of the workbooks completely undone.

Kindred Blessings said...

"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...". Be like Dory in "Finding Nemo"!

You're doing a fabulous job and this this hectic time is for a season.

Enjoy your children and do NOT stress about homeschooling.