Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mary Grace and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

You ever wake up in one of those moods?

I do.

Not very often ... but sometimes. Usually it's because before my eyes even open, my brain is already rattling through a whole list of things that I need to get done.

Gosh, I hate that.

But it happened to me this morning.

First thing in the morning--6 a.m., bright and early--my eyes slid open and BOOM! There was my to-do list. It was almost as if it was written on the ceiling, it was that clear.

At-home therapy appointment for Oliver. (ugh)
Phone call with birthparents. (sigh)
Check in on my mom, who just had surgery. (ugh)
Schedule Manolin's 18 month check-up. (do I have to?)
Oliver's speech assessment. (whine)
Atticus to Karate. (ugh)

And on and on. You get the point.

So my attitude was poor from the get-go. And yes, I had a bad day. And the thing was, I knew I was having a bad day because I was in a bad mood. I just couldn't seem to do anything about it.

I hate that. I hate it when my brain can't seem to shake the general yuck and grab onto some joy. I want to give thanks in all circumstances. But the truth is ... sometimes I whine. Sometimes I whine a lot.

And today I was the Queen of Whine. School barely got done. I checked off my to-do list but, buddy, I was not happy about it. I even got two really cool boxes of books that did nothing for me.

But tomorrow ... tomorrow I'm going to wash that grey right out of my hair. I've decided that it's a no-whine zone. I'm going to be happy.

Because just like I decided today that I was going to be in a foul m odd, I figure I can decide that tomorrow is shiny happy day. Why not? I'll let you know if it works.

9 comments:

Autismland Penny said...

I have those days too! Dust yourself off and tomorrow is another day!

Camille said...

To quote from "Anne of Green Gables" ~ "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it!" Don't you love that??

Hang in there...we all have those dreadful days. We all sin...but that is a given...it's not that we sin...but what we DO about that sin that matters!

Blessings,
Camille
(Psalm 138:8)

Mandi @ Life Your Way said...

Ugh, I had one of those days too, and I ruined everybody's mood with my own. It was almost like an out of body experience...I could see so clearly what was happening, but there was a disconnect between my head and my heart, and I just let it continue. :( Tomorrow IS a new day, though!

jennifer said...

Oh boy, have I had those days! I think last week was full of 'em. This is a much better week for me (and therefore, for the whole family!).

I hope you have a great day today!

The Hayes Zoo said...

Oh bother....and then I sent you a whining email. That wasn't helpful now, was it?

Sorry.

Maybe your bootstraps be found early and the joy be full!! :)

Fatcat said...

Choose happiness! I've been practicing cognitive therapy on myself lately and it's working.

I also believe it's biblical - the whole being content in all circumstances that Paul was working on in prison and the verse about whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, etc.

http://depression.about.com/od/psychotherapy/a/cognitive.htm

Lori said...

Oh Mary Grace, been there plenty! And just for fun I add to the mix a guilt complex about my bad mood... not at all the intended response from the One whose mercies are new every morning. Hoping today is a better one!

Sarah said...

That works for me! Yesterday I declared our library a "no-annoying noise zone."

Sprittibee said...

I would beat you out as the champion "Queen of Whine" any day.