Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Her first decade


Jo is turning ten tomorrow. I'm not really sure how I feel about that, but clearly, I need to make up my mind quickly.

All those cheesy sayings are true.

"It seems like yesterday ..."
"I can't believe it's been so long ..."
"How you've grown ..."

All that and more, I tell you.

Ten years ago today I was saying goodbye to my co-workers, assuring them that I'd send news the next day as soon as our little one made his or her entrance. (I did.) I was also fending off an anxious editor who was positive that I wouldn't be coming back full-strength after my seven-week maternity leave. (I didn't.) That night, we drove around looking for a restaurant that had seating available, knowing that this was our last evening out as "just" a couple for the rest of our lives.

Jo joined our family the next day as a 10 pound, 2 ounce bundle of baby girl. We were in shock--at no point had dh or myself ever considered that we would be having anything other than a little boy. Clearly, God had other plans.

At no point in the past ten years have I ever wished for anyone or anything other than our beautiful Jo. She has brought sunlight into our lives and laughter into our hearts. Thank you so much for sharing all the love in your heart for the past decade, Jo. Your momma loves you.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Happy Birthday to your special girl. I remember I cried when my oldest turned 10. I guess I should let you get past this before I remind you that...13 is coming. (smile)