Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dear Dave Ramsey

Dear Dave Ramsey,

You have an incredible plan for getting finances back on track. I thank you for all the time and effort that you've put into your books and programs and your radio show. It's been a huge help to my family. We're not die-hard in our commitment to your ideas, but we've learned a lot. And for that, I thank you.

I'm writing this note, though, to let you know that I am preparing to do something fiscally irresponsible and I don't feel one bit bad about it. I just wanted to let you know because I feel like we're sort of connected, you and I. All that time we've shared together preparing envelopes, you know.

This Saturday, my husband and I will be blowing a portion of our economic stimulus package at a really outrageously priced restaurant. Alone. In the end, we will have nothing to show for it. The money will simply be ... gone. Our debt will not be increased, but it won't be decreased, either. I know that this disappoints you, Mr. Ramsey. I know that you think we should keep whittling away at that debt until we're in the clear, and that anything else is irresponsible. But I'm o.k. with that.

My husband and I are walking out of a tough time of focusing on everything but our relationship. We're working hard to reconnect. I know that you value financial peace, but I also know that you value marital harmony. In truth, we could pack a picnic and head to the lake for the evening. But you know what? I don't want to. I don't want the mess of throwing together a meal and packing it. I don't want bugs and grass. I want to have fun that lets me get dressed up, go out with my prince and pretend to be a princess for a few hours. I want candles and servers who call me ma'am.

So that's what we're doing. Sorry to disappoint you, sir.

Sincerely,
Mary Grace

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!! I have to admit that we got our incentive right before we came on vacation--and we've been spending much more than we had planned to because of it. But I keep talking to Dave in my head, saying "Good grief! Can't we at least eat out with this extra money instead of eating PBJs?" And so we are...

Paula said...

Have a WONDERFUL dinner and ENJOY every minute of it!

Jennifer Sr. said...

It'll be cheaper since you aren't taking all the kids, so I think you are in the clear! ;)

Oh Joy! said...

:)

:)

Anonymous said...

And I know that you'll enjoy every minute of it.

Have a great time!

(and we're not saving ours either!)

Sarah said...

Enjoy every bite, and every "ma'am." :)

Jules said...

:giggle:

I'm happy you can go out for dinner! :)

Unknown said...

so, I'm reading THIS after reading about the decadent MUSHROOM-glory-fest you imbibbed in.

I am ONE HUMORED WOMAN!!

Grinning from ear to ear like a Cheshire Cat, I tell ya.

You GLOW girl! :)

I'm proud of ya!

And Dave Ramsey? In this case, he can eat his shorts! LOLOLOL

The Beaver Bunch said...

We are Dave folks as well. We do most things Dave's "text book" way. BUT, I'm thinking surely Dave wouldn't have minded this.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he'd have done it himself.