Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Yeah, we've got a verse for that

I am normally the one assigning Scripture memorization. With the help of those ever-present AWANA handbooks, some sing-along CDs and my personal library of go-to self-discipline verses, I've managed to fill my older children's heads and hearts with what I think of as a formidable treasure chest of Biblical knowledge. Fighting with your brother? We've got a verse for that (Matthew 5:9). Can't find something nice to say? We've got a verse for that (1 Thessalonians 5:11a). Nervous? We've got loads of Scripture on that one (Psalm 91 and Joshua 1:9 are our faves). Beat down by the world? We've got a verse for that (Isaiah 40:31).

We even have Life Verses that we selected for each of our children. Jo's is Isaiah 43:1-7; try getting all of that out in front of a congregation during a Princess Ceremony without crying! (I sobbed like a baby.) For Atticus we went with Psalm 91. Atticus is our worrier, our reluctant warrior. He needs that Psalm spoken over him to remind him of his destiny as one of God's courageous sons. Logan needs no such Scriptural prodding. For him, we chose something to remind him of the "details" (Psalm 119:9-16) as you may recall that details are not exactly his forté. Oliver's was easy. 1 Samuel 1:26-28. Actually, go ahead and apply the whole story of Hannah praying, and know that that was me. For Manolin, we are still waffling between Psalm 138 and Psalm 139. When you consider his miraculous healing and protection in the womb, both are appropriate.

In other words, we have a lot of verses going on around here.

So imagine my shock and--I'll admit it--
pure joy when Jo approached me sheepishly, index card in hand.

"I've got something for you. I think you need it."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Uh-huh. I read it and thought of you."

She handed over the card and there, in her girly pre-teen scrawl was this:

Jeremiah 17:7-8

7 But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

8 He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit.



I could barely see for the tears in my eyes. I pulled her in for a hug, chin trembling and eyes shut tight as I praised the God who has given me a daughter who listens for His voice ... and loves her momma, too.

The verse has been taped to the front of my microwave for two weeks now, and I can finally say that I have it down pat. Which is a good thing because, as you have probably already assumed, God was sending it to me for a reason. I've had a few worries as of late (health issues in my grandparents and now mom) and was starting to feel the tight anxiety of "how can I do this?" creeping into my throat. But blessed is the man--or, in this case, woman--who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. With this verse beating in my ears, I am reminded that I am not alone. I have roots in the stream. I will not wither; I will bear fruit!

Thanks for the memorization assignment, Jo. :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet!

Sarah said...

I was just looking up verses for our situation here, and found Prov. 6:16-19.

Renee said...

What an amazing daughter you have! This blessed me so much tonight!

Much Love,
Renee

Unknown said...

Oh, the immense internal joy when we see our children search out the Word!

What a blessing, Mary Grace! I rejoice with you!

(and, for the record, I'm personally VERY grateful you are back in good with the internet connect thing. A week without B&B and I'm all undone! LOL)

Barry and Amy said...

That is just awesome!!

Like the life verses for the kids! Very neat!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

That's absolutely beautiful! :]

Luke Holzmann said...

That is very good stuff!

Lord, I ask that You will continue to surround Mary Grace with love and support and give her peace and strength to handle everything that comes up. Watch over her parents and her mom, and give the doctors wisdom as to what to do for them. Amen.

You are in the good hands, Mary Grace.

~Luke

Southern Latitudes said...

Awwwwwww...

My children gave dh and myself the Scripture to go ahead and buy this house 2 years ago. I was rendered speechless.

I love how you have a Scripture for each child.