Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

30 ways, #6

GETTING TO KNOW YOU


I prayed for a baby brother for as long as I could remember. When I was 7, God answered.




If you're anything like me, you love flipping through photos of your children as babies. It's just something you do from time to time to clear out any emotional backlog that you might have accumulated since the last time you realized that life was moving.too.fast. So you sit down, immerse yourself in images of their sweet, soft babyness, and relive every stinking new tooth, every cute outfit, every funny bath time shampoo 'do.


To steal a line from The Three Amigos, you know your children like you know your own smell. 


And they know you, too. Well ... they know the NOW you. The pre-baby you? The you who fell in love with their Daddy? The you who learned to ride a two-wheeler? The you who once collected ceramic unicorns and cried when your baby brother broke your favorite purple glitter one playing with his stupid --- oh, wait. A little too real. Sorry. :-)


Anyhow, your kids know the 2012 version of you. They may even recall the 2000 version of you, if they're old enough. But they sure as shootin' don't know much about the you that existed before. Guess what? They're missing out.


And so are you.


Gather up some props (photos, the remnants of that special collection, the dried rose your beloved gave you on your first date) and introduce your kids to their mother in a whole new way. It's amazing how this simple exercise binds you to your children in a whole new way.

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

That's a really cool idea. Trouble for me: I like the me now quite a bit more than the me then. I've grown up a bit since. ...but that's probably part of the point, eh? Life is full of what my therapist would call "growth opportunities," and the more we take advantage of them, the better [smile].

And, no, I'm not in psychotherapy anymore. But 2004 Luke was. And it was a blast. Hmm... I'm liking this idea more and more!

~Luke

Anonymous said...

I'm no longer sure where you're getting your info, however great topic. I must spend a while studying more or working out more. Thank you for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.
Toyota Camry (LE, XLE) Replacement Headlight Assembly (Chrome) - 1-Pair