Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ordered

I sat upright at my computer today long enough to type in my curriculum order for the fall. While I feel accomplished (one more box checked off before Seven arrives!) I also feel just a tad apprehensive. Who knows what this upcoming school year will look like? Certainly not me.

I looked over my well-planned order--scenes of a sweet newborn in my arms, Manolin no longer content to play happily on the sidelines, Oli transitioning to more time at the developmental preschool, Logan hitting that "voracious reader" stage, Atticus wanting something to physically build,
Jo teetering on the edge of high school, Bee quite possibly home ... this verse went through my mind:

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." --James 4:13-15


And that, I think, is something to keep in mind when planning a school year. You have no idea what will happen tomorrow, let alone next spring. Your kindergartner could learn to read. Or she could decide to spend an entire year perfecting her princess ballerina routine. You could love the science curriculum you bought. Or it could be a massive flop. Your homeschool could hit history daily ... or only manage it once every two weeks. Strap yourself in, enjoy the ride ... and if it's God's will, your plans might just come to fruition.

10 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I've decided I need to spend the summers praying for the next school year. I haven't followed through nearly as well as I intended, but I still think it's what I should be doing.

I'll say a little prayer for you as I remember to pray for us.

Also, I wanted to tell you that last week, I ordered our first Sonlight core. We're making the switch and I'm VERY excited about it.

Blessings, Mary Grace. Now, go lie back down:-).

The Beaver Bunch said...

Thanks for the reminder. This year's kindergarten didn't look a thing like I thought it would. We moved and had a baby all in 1 month. Add to that the normal chaos of 5 (now 6) kids and, well, I feel like quite a failure.

But, I remind myself that we are doing what we should be doing (by homeschooling) and, His mercies are new each morning. So, each day we press on.

Thinking about you friend. Grow that babe!

Benny said...

Amen to that!

Rodna said...

This is very good advice. i need to print off that verse. It is very good.
I almost want to copy you and post it too! HA I am not a copycat though. lol

Melanie said...

Wow. I certainly needed to hear that verse today. My world is changing at light speed these days and I've been planning myself into inaction. I think a little more faith and it will be ok. Thank you!

Back to bed with you!

Lori said...

I think we're sitting on the same page. Proverbs 19:21 has been rolling around in my head a lot lately. I'm a big planner, but am so thankful that it's the Lord's purpose that stands.

Luke Holzmann said...

May this year, no matter what happens in your plans, be your best yet [smile].

~Luke

Traci said...

This post hit home as "I" try and plan C's freshman year. When oh when will I learn to lean on God? Thanks for the reminder MG.
I miss hanging out with you by the way :)

Heidi said...

I didn't realize I was holding my breath about next year. Thanks for the permission to breathe.

Kate said...

Stomping my feet just a bit but you're right.