Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Worth the Wait

Tomorrow is going to come, just like the 114 other Fridays that have dawned since Oliver first came into our lives.

We will wake up, go downstairs, eat breakfast, do chores.

It could be any other Friday that has passed since February of 2008.

But this Friday--tomorrow--is Oli's Adoption Day.

Tonight is the very last time I will tuck in "someone else's son." Because as of tomorrow, he is ours. Fully, legally, wholeheartedly
ours.

I couldn't be happier.

A few weeks back, I began making preparations for this big day. I scanned adoption blogs and etsy shops and whatnot, looking for ideas to commemorate everything that is burbling in my heart as we prepare to finally claim Oli as our own. As I looked, one phrase stood out among the crowd:
"Worth the Wait." Yes, that sums up our entire experience. All of the visits, the social workers, the court hearings, the CASAs, the paperwork, the physicals, the evaluations, the training. The whole package ... it was all one big wait. But Oli? Worth it. Worth every minute.

So I contacted a talented friend and asked if she would take a custom order for an item or two that shouted our thoughts to the world. She agreed, and you can see the results above, or on her blog, the Blissful Stitcher. They turned out so well that I think she's offering them as a general sale item now. The blue is for Oli, the brown is for Mani. I know that, traditionally, adoption proceedings are fancy-get-up affairs but, well ... we're not a fancy get-up family. What we are is a forever family. And that, my friends, has been worth the wait.

11 comments:

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Such a precious time in your house! What fortunate, blessed children they are to call you mommy!

Mrs. Hearts

Camille said...

How WONDERFUL!! Congratulations! Enjoy these precious days...they are too soon behind us! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Jennifer Jo said...

Wonderful. Congratulation!

Anonymous said...

What an exciting time! So thankful that tomorrow has finally come.

Stephani said...

So happy for you all!

Beth said...

Congratulations on the adoption of a son!
And to think, God think we are also "worth the wait." Astounding to contemplate.
Blessings on this very special day!

Four Little Penguins said...

That's awesome! Congratulations!!!

Traci said...

Today is the day! I am so excited for y'all. Give Oli a big welcome to the family hug from me.

Regina said...

Thinking of ya'll today :D

Heidi said...

I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!!!!!

Jodi said...

Very cool!! We fostered, for 4 1/2years, our 2 precious boys before our "happy adoption day". It is SO worth the wait!! I can't agree more. It was simple, quick, exciting, amazing, and finally "final" to be in court. Then I got really tired. It was so bizzare to me that I was somewhere deep inside holding my breath for those years. :)
I will be celebrating with you today!!