A couple of weeks back, I took this recipe from BHG (which I admit is one of my favorite magazines) and made it my own. Here's a peek at what it morphed into:
"Like Shepherd's Pie. But not." (so named by Jo.)
- leftover Thanksgiving turkey breast (diced)
- 1 16-oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
- Shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- leftover Thanksgiving mashed potatoes
1. Preheat broiler. Heat diced turkey through. Stir in frozen vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Stir in half the cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
2. Dump into greased, oven-safe casserole dish. Top with potatoes; sprinkle remaining cheese. Broil 3 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
It took all of fifteen minutes from the time I walked into the kitchen until the meal was on the table, and the kids ate every last bit of it. I call that a success!